Energy Regulation in the UK

Have you energy wondered who regulates the energy industry? Or do you have a complaint with an energy supplier that you need to raise further? Find out about energy regualtion in the UK below.

Who regulates the energy industry in Great Britain?

Ofgem, (the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets) is the regulator of the gas and electricity industries in Great Britain. New suppliers need to be licensed by Ofgem before they can supply you with gas and/or electricity. It is one of Ofgem's roles to ensure that licensed energy suppliers can meet their customers energy needs.

What is Ofgem?

Ofgem was formed in June 1999 by combining the functions and operations of the former gas regulator OFGAS (Office of Gas Supply), and the former electricity industry regulator OFFER (Office of Electricity Regulation). It has over 300 employees and an annual budget of £50 million.

What is Ofgem's role?

Ofgem was set up by the government to protect the interests of all gas and electricity customers, ensuring that they get genuine choice and value, to promote effective competition in the production, distribution and supply of gas and electricity and to regulate the gas and electricity industries throughout Great Britain.

How can I contact Ofgem?

Ofgem can be contacted by telephone on 020 7901 7000, or by post at Ofgem, 9 Millbank, London SW1P 3GE.

Who looks after the interests of gas and electricity consumers?

Consumer Focus is the organisation set up to represent the interests of all gas and electricity consumers in Great Britain.

What is Consumer Focus?

Consumer Focus is the statutory consumer champion for England, Wales, Scotland and (for postal consumers) Northern Ireland. Consumer Focus were formed by The Consumers, Estate Agents and Redress (CEAR) Act 2007. Consumer Focus receive funding from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) and from licenses paid by energy suppliers and the postal industry.

What is Consumer Focus's role?

Consumer Focus is charged with the wide remit of securing a fair deal for energy consumers. In support of its duties, Consumer Focus is actively involved in promoting a number of campaigns including campaigns for more affordable fuel, higher standards of service and greater quality and choice for all. As of 02 April 2012, the organisation has handed the responsibility for handling individual complaints to Citizens Advice Bureau.

How can I contact Consumer Focus?

If you wish to lodge a complaint against your supplier, you should contact the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), not Consumer Focus. You can contact the CAB by telephone on 08454 04 05 06, by email via their website or by writing to them at Citizens Advice consumer service, PO Box 833 Moulton Park Northampton NN3 0AN.

Start your energy price comparison with our Ofgem-accredited comparison tool.

Never miss out on energy savings!

Want to be amongst the first to be notified when more competitive energy tariffs become available? Enter your email address here...

We won't spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Our energy expert

Compare. Switch. Save. Join millions of homes switching with the UK energy experts.

You may also be interested in:

Ofgem Confidence Code
Fully accredited by Ofgem since 2003
Compare. Switch. Save. Join millions of homes switching with the UK energy experts.